Joomla 5 Notice

We are pleased to announce that as of January 29, 2024, all of our Joomla extensions are compatible with Joomla 5.

For all who are still updateing from Joomla 3 to Joomla 4: Joomla 4 Migration instructions are available here:

There is now a separate Documentation for Visforms for Joomla 4 and for Visforms for Joomla 5!

Forum

Visforms Subscription user can ask questions in our forum. Please log in with the relevant user first.
Everybody can access the forum for reading.

Please only ask 1 question per topic.

Very slow with 100 fields - is this normal?

More
6 years 2 months ago #5221 by anth
Hi, My client built a form with 100 fields & many of them are conditional. The form takes about 2 minutes to process when the 1st field is clicked and its conditional field displays. If I unpublish a stack of fields, the form speeds up proportionately. When I get most of the way through the form, it speeds up a bit.

I would link to the form, but it had to be unpublished for now.

I'm just wondering if Visforms is meant to be able to handle this many fields? Is this slowness to be expected? What practices could be avoided to speed up the form?

Other forms with many fields (about 50 fields) don't seem to be slow at all.

Thanks.

More
6 years 2 months ago #5222 by Administrator AV
Replied by Administrator AV on topic Very slow with 100 fields - is this normal?
Hi,

sadly your observation is at least partly correct. I know of at least one other website, that has a similar problem. Having many conditional fields in a form with many fields can cause the form to get unacceptably slow.

I checked on that other website then, and as far as I could see, there was a bad interaction between the Visforms Javascript that is responsible for managing the conditionals fields and other Javascript on that website which came from the template and hat a timer involved ....

So actually, from my experience, I think, a form with 100 fields and many of them conditional should be much faster than you describe, also maybe not as fast as a form without conditional fields or with less fields.

If you like, you can export the #__visforms and #__visfields table from the database and send me the dump to contact@vi-solutions.de .I could set up a test then. This could et least help solving the problem in the long run.

Regards,
Aicha

:idea: I recommend you the new and up-to-date documentation for Joomla 4:
docs.joomla-5.visforms.vi-solutions.de/en/docs/
Most of this also applies retrospectively to Joomla 3.
Please only ask 1 question per topic :-).

:idea: Ich empfehle Dir die neue und aktuelle Dokumentation für Joomla 4:
docs.joomla-5.visforms.vi-solutions.de/docs/
Das meiste gilt rückwirkend auch für Joomla 3.
Bitte immer nur 1 Frage pro Thema stellen :-).

More
6 years 2 months ago #5231 by anth
Thanks for your fast and helpful response! I am not so fast :-)
I've looked a bit more at the form my client created & my estimation of 2 mins to load was exaggerated. More like 30 seconds. Also I see that the form has very complex dependents - one string of dependent fields is 15 questions long!
I have recommended that the client split the single form into several forms, so that the dependent fields don't go so deep.
I don't mind sending the db visfields, but I doubt it would be uniquely useful to you & suspect you are just being excessively helpful & polite :-)

We decided to publish the form anyway, so if anyone is interested it's here: www.mychildsupport.com.au/the-coa-wizard.html

More
6 years 2 months ago #5233 by Administrator AV
Replied by Administrator AV on topic Very slow with 100 fields - is this normal?
Hi,

thanks for your response. I agree, that in this case, the databse would not help me very much.

Regards,
Aicha

:idea: I recommend you the new and up-to-date documentation for Joomla 4:
docs.joomla-5.visforms.vi-solutions.de/en/docs/
Most of this also applies retrospectively to Joomla 3.
Please only ask 1 question per topic :-).

:idea: Ich empfehle Dir die neue und aktuelle Dokumentation für Joomla 4:
docs.joomla-5.visforms.vi-solutions.de/docs/
Das meiste gilt rückwirkend auch für Joomla 3.
Bitte immer nur 1 Frage pro Thema stellen :-).

Moderators: Administrator AVAdministrator IV