Joomla 5 Notice

We are pleased to announce that as of January 29, 2024, all of our Joomla extensions are compatible with Joomla 5.

For all who are still updateing from Joomla 3 to Joomla 4: Joomla 4 Migration instructions are available here:

There is now a separate Documentation for Visforms for Joomla 4 and for Visforms for Joomla 5!

Forum

Visforms Subscription user can ask questions in our forum. Please log in with the relevant user first.
Everybody can access the forum for reading.

Please only ask 1 question per topic.

Batch copied form is automatically populated with blank data

More
1 month 1 day ago #10241 by rusasadmins
On one of our sites (running Joomla! 4.4.3 and Visforms 4.4.2), when we create a new form using the "Batch" action, it is automatically populated with lots of blank data.  The only fields that contain data are the IP address and the date submitted.  The date submitted can be from 2017 or 2018 which seems impossible, and in any case does not match the data found in the original form.  Also, the data records far exceed the number of hits for the form, suggesting this is not the result of a bot attack.

Is this a known problem?  What could be causing this?

Thanks,
Eddie

More
4 weeks 2 days ago #10244 by Administrator IV
Hello Eddie,

the situation described is not causally related to a “batch copy” process, but in your case it can affect any type of new form creation.

The problem arises from an inconsistency in the database, which does not arise from intended (normal) use within the Visforms administration.
Inconsistencies in the database arise when changes are made manually directly in the database, i.e. bypassing Visforms.
This could well have happened unintentionally, for example:
- When form records are deleted directly in the database and at the same time the autoindex of the Visforms table for the form configurations is manually reset.
- If the Visforms table for the form configurations was manually deleted in the database, but not the associated Visforms data tables.

The situation described can be explained in detail as follows.

Short summary: Probably by manually deleting the Visforms table with the form configurations while retaining the 'old' data tables.
Possible solution in this case: Delete the 'old' data tables before creating a form.

If 'Save result' is set to 'Yes' for the first time in the form configuration, both data tables for this form will be created.
The two data tables are the table with the current (possibly edited) data and the table with the copy of the original data for restoring the original data after a data change in the administration.

The data tables are only deleted by Visforms in the following two cases:
a) The corresponding form is deleted via the Visforms administration.
b) Visforms has been uninstalled.

However, if the 'Save result' is simply reset to 'No', both data tables and the saved data will be retained.
Otherwise, it could very easily happen that the data is accidentally deleted.

If 'Save result' is later changed back to 'Yes', then Visforms only checks that the data table has the correct structure.
In particular, if fields have been deleted or added in the meantime, this will be corrected accordingly.

Data sets must therefore always be deleted as follows:
- manually in the data view of the administration, or
- using the ‘Auto Delete Data’ plugin.

There is an autoindex on the Visforms form table where the form configurations are stored.
This means that a new form can never be created with an ID that already existed at some point.

The behavior described can occur if the following happens:
- For some reason, a database contains old Visforms data tables.
- The autoindex of the Visforms table of a newly installed Visforms always starts at 1.
- At some point a form is created that then has an ID for which there is an old data table.
- Visforms now properly adapts the entire structure of the data table.
  In this case, this means that the column value is deleted for all columns of the 'old' Visforms fields because the form simply does not have these fields (IDs).
- Afterwards, only the 'overhead' fields in the 'old' data sets are filled with values.

This would also fit well with the old date of the records.

Kind Regards, Ingmar

:idea: I recommend you the new and up-to-date documentation for Joomla 4:
docs.joomla-5.visforms.vi-solutions.de/en/docs/
Most of this also applies retrospectively to Joomla 3.
Please only ask 1 question per topic :-).

:idea: Ich empfehle Dir die neue und aktuelle Dokumentation für Joomla 4:
docs.joomla-5.visforms.vi-solutions.de/docs/
Das meiste gilt rückwirkend auch für Joomla 3.
Bitte immer nur 1 Frage pro Thema stellen :-).

More
4 weeks 2 days ago - 4 weeks 2 days ago #10246 by Administrator IV
Hello Eddie,

another note about the two names of the Visforms data tables.

The two table names for a form, for example with ID = 1, are:
visforms_1
visforms_1_save

All data tables for which there is no current form ID are 'old' data tables.

Kind regards, Ingmar

Last edit: 4 weeks 2 days ago by Administrator IV.

More
4 weeks 2 days ago #10247 by rusasadmins
Thank you for your reply.

For this site actually we had to manually rebuid all off the forms when we migrated to J4. I'm afraid perhaps we are missing something in our table structure.

I can easily go back into our table structure and send you a snapshot of our tables?

I can adjust anything as needed.

What should I send you? I'm sure you would know what to look for.

thanks,
Laura & Eddie (Rutgers)

More
4 weeks 2 days ago #10249 by rusasadmins
I have an sql statement, is there a way I can send you this so it's not on the public forum?

thanks!

More
4 weeks 2 days ago #10250 by Administrator IV
We received the ZIP file and are looking into it.

Moderators: Administrator AVAdministrator IV